1.3 Understand the role of professional judgment and practical knowledge for improving all students’ reading development and achievement. 

Equity Letter.docx

Context:

I constructed an equity letter and addressed it to the principal of my school.  Based on the readings in EDLIT730 on second language acquisition I had the task of developing an equity and advocacy plan for emergent bilinguals at my school.  Understanding my position in the school, I maintained a professional tone when describing and supporting the plan with research from Freeman and Freeman who emphasizes the importance of fair-mindedness, empathy and ethical behavior in literacy instruction and professional behavior.

Reflection:

Addressing a letter to my school principal was a new task for me.  My tone in the letter was different from the writing tone I'm more familiar with. The professional deameanor I had to maintain in my writing throughout the letter has given me the confidence to speak up about cultural diversity in the classroom and the importance in learning to read and write for all students.