4.1: Recognize, understand, and value the forms of diversity that exist in society and their importance in learning to read and write.

Equity Letter.docx

Context:

In EDLIT 730 I had to develop an equity and advocacy plan for emergent bilinguals that was supported by research from Freeman and Freeman in second language acquisition.  I had to incorporate the equity and advocacy plan in a letter format and addressed it to the principal of my school that included the suggestions and recommendations.

Reflection:

In this assignment it was necessary to recognize, understand and value the forms of diversity that exist in society and my school.  Even though I concluded that my school had a lack of diversity which doesn’t require services to support emergent bilinguals, I found that my presented arguments towards the growth of cultural diversity in society were strong and informative.  The support of Freeman and Freeman helped me present ideas and strategies that reflect the importance of learning to read and write in a culturally diverse society.