For my first year of teaching, my goals include establishing a trusting and mutually beneficial rapport between myself and my students. Although teaching content and skill goals will be a crucial part of my instructional goals, I also believe it is my responsibility to help facilitate the growth of my students as individuals in all aspects of their lives. Therefore, my primary and overarching goal in teaching for my first year, will be to structure my instruction to produce a learning environment which is not only focused on academics, but on content and skills that will benefit students in their non-academic lives as well. I believe that if I do my job correctly, I will continue to learn and grow as a teacher each and every day. As a teacher, I will be exposed to students, who bring a wealth of new knowledge and skills to the classroom on a daily basis. I can always count on my students to teach me something new, and therefore I regard myself as a learner as well as an educator. I will always make a conscious effort to make education a two-way street in my classroom, where new knowledge is shared and learned by all.

I also believe that there is a tremendous amount of valuable knowledge to be learned from fellow colleagues, which is why it is crucial to keep lines of communication open and free between myself and the educational professionals around me. Therefore, I make it a point to always attend professional development sessions, whether they be offered by the Hunter School of Education, or the John J. Pershing learning community. At Pershing, teachers meet on a weekly basis in teacher learning groups to share and discuss successes, failures, and general concerns, regarding their teaching methods. I consider myself fortunate to be able to attend these meetings, because they allow me the opportunity to be exposed to teaching styles I may want to emulate and activities I may want to incorporate in my own instruction, as well as instructional mistakes I may want to avoid. 

I truly believe that as long as I continue to learn, I will continue to change and grow, which ultimately will not only make me a better educator, but a more knowledgeable and well-rounded individual as well.