In spite of my inexperience, my semester was a success. The students were cooperative and I saw evidence of learning. I initiated two projects that were related to the unit in which we read Maus:

As a final assessment project, students were to interview a parent or older relative to learn something interesting in their family history, similar to how Art interviewed Vlkadek, his Dad in Maus, to learn about what happened to his parents and how they came to America. Almost everyone in this country has a story in their past that is unique and should be passed along to become part of the family history.

Afterwards, I realized why this assignment resonated with the students: it was because it was their story. Learning about what others have done for their loved ones strengthens a student's sense of identity and helps them find their own place in their family, in the classroom, and in the world. None of us got here on our own; there were people in our past who overcame obstacles to make it easier for the next generation, and that is us! Not only are we somewhat obligated to appreciate this, we need to think about our role: what contribution is expected of us? How can we help the next in line.

I met with each student before the Spring recess and again after they came back with their interviews. Many of them felt their past was uneventful and not worthy of an essay, but with encouragement and some pointed questions, students were shown how to use their skills of expression and of story telling to construct their essays. Attached in an example of one of the student's family history, and a short video clip of me teaching a lesson on "character" in Shakespeare's play, Othello.

Muhammad K.docx