Whether it was nurture or nature, as a child I would often be found in the garden behind our house in Queens pulling weeds, watering, planting, and harvesting all sorts of vegetables with my father. Then, I would put on my chef's hat- so to speak, and help my mother make tomato sauce and other recipes. I believe these early experiences with food shaped my career path. It was only after being diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia at the age of 7 that I learned of the dietetics profession. However, I did not yet hear it calling my name.

I discovered my interest in human biology during high school, which later became my major at Sacred Heart University. It was during this time that several other experiences and jobs directed me towards the field of nutrition. Discovering I was a minority among college students that knew how to prepare and cook my own nutritious meals was quite the revelation. I began to join extracurricular activites that promoted health around campus such as the Body Image Task Force and S.W.E.E.T. (Student Wellness Education and Empowerment Team). I also worked in a kitchen where deep frying seemed to be the only cooking method. Enough said. 

By the end of my first year of college I knew I would pursue nutrition. After receiving my Bachelor of Science degree in biology, I took the few remaining prerequisite courses at vaious CUNYs and completed my DPD coursework with a Master of Science in nutrition at Hunter College. While attending Hunter, I had the opportunity to work with staff on community nutrition projects that were in line with my professional goals- to provide children and adolescents with the education and skills needed to make healthy choices fo long, fulfilling lives.

As I complete the Dietetic Internship, new learning experiences are allowing me to find my niche within this field. May the journey continue!