1.3 Understand the role of professional judgment and practical knowledge for improving all students’ reading development and achievement. 

Equity and Advocacy Plan

Context:

For this assignment, I wrote a letter to the principal at Overlook Primary School that addressed their learning environment for emergent bilinguals. Within this letter, I developed an equity and advocacy plan for these students. In the letter, I began by addressing the several services and supports that they already have in place for emergent bilinguals. I then provided research-based recommendations on how the school could better support their english language learners, utilizing a Bilingual Dual Language Program. I also recommended ways to promote parent engagement and how they can support an intercultural orientation. This letter conveys specific ideas on how their school can best support the reading and writing development of their diverse student population.

Reflection:

Prior to this class and assignment, I had almost no experience working with English Language Learners (ELLs). This experience provided me with the knowledge and understanding of what works best when teaching ELLs. After tutoring a student and observing the current practices that this school uses to support their emergent bilinguals, I realized what was working and what they needed to do in order for these students to be the most successful. I now feel that I have a solid understanding of which reserach-based practices a school should use in order to improve the development and achievement of emergent bilinguas.