2.2: Use appropriate and varied instructional approaches, including those that develop word recognition, language comprehension, strategic knowledge, and reading-writing connections.

Tab Three (Spelling Development Study and Conference)

Context:

The Spelling and Development Study and Conference (Tab 3) was assigned to us during Theories and Processes of Teaching Writing (EDLIT733). This assignment included Field Work experience where I analyzed a student's spelling development. To do this, I used Words Their Way to identify his strengths and weakness. This framework revealed the child’s orthographic knowledge. After discovering which spelling stage the student fell in, I selected a word sort that would best support his spelling needs. Utilizing this data, I word sorts that were differentiated towards his learning needs. Following this, the student was asked to go on a word hunt around the classroom to search for the spelling pattern given. After the conference, it was apparent the student felt much more confident in his spelling ablities.

Reflection:

Before the spelling conference, this student used to come up to me at least once a day to see if I could help him spell difficult words. Now that we've had the opportunity to sit down and discuss his spelling, learn new patterns, and practice these patterns, I've seen these varied approaches help him develop his word recognition skills and ability to spell unknown words. Within this Spelling Development Study, I not only layed out my process, but also thoughtout additional supports for future conferences. For example, I suggested that the student use the words from their sorts in their writing. Through this conference and study, I have realized the benefits of using varied instructional approches to teach and support students spelling and word recognition.