3.3: Use assessment information to plan and evaluate instruction.

Diagnostic Report

Instructional Plan

Context:

In EDLIT 736, Diagnosis of Reading Difficulties, we were asked to work one on one with a student with reading difficulties. In order to better understand our student as a reader and writer, we utilized a variety of assessment tools. Then, we were asked to summarize all the data we collected on our student from tutoring in a Diagnostic Report. This document included a rational for the assessments we used and the student's strengths and vulnerabilities that we found using the different tools. After creating the Diagnostic Report, we were asked to cultivate an Instructional Plan to plan and evaluate our instruction. 

Reflection:

As a school teacher, it's difficult to find time to work one-on-one with a student to give them exactly what they need, and do so in a detailed manner. I really enjoyed and learned a lot from working with just one student. This opportunity allowed me to use a variety of assessments in order to discover my student's strengths and needs as a reader and writer. After weeks of utilizing different assessments, such as F&P's and reading interviews, I was able to take all the information I gathered and come up with an instructional plan for my student. This process made me realize how beneficial and necessary assessments are in planning an evaluating my instruction. As I continue to work with the student over my last semester, I plan to utilize assessments to see what areas my student has made gains in, and where we still need to do some work in order for him to feel confident in his literacy abilities.