3.4: Communicate assessment results and implications to a variety of audiences.

Report (Emma Chalmers).doc

Context:

The purpose of the report was to communicate useful information clearly to the appropriate audience that's interested in the students’ progress. For this report, we were asked to write a letter explaining the student's use of comprehension and word identification stratgies, along with a summary explaining the child's perception of the reading process and their engagement with texts. We also had to interpret the standardized test results and provide instructional suggestions based on our findings.

Reflection:

For this assignment, I wrote my letter to what could be the student's future teacher or anyone who works with the student in terms of literacy. Within the report, I summarized the results from several different assessments. This included a miscue analysis, running record, reading interview, self assessment, and spelling inventory. Based on these results, I provided a plethora of instructional suggestions for the teacher to use with this student to support her growth in reading. Going through this process was both rewarding and helpful. It was interesting to see which assessments worked best to assess different elements of the reading process. It was also helpful to take the results from all the assessments and create a report summary. This gave me a better overall understanding of where the student is, where they need to be, and how I can best support them in terms of literacy.