6.1: Demonstrate foundational knowledge of adult learning theories and related research about organizational change, professional development, and school culture.

Literature Review 

One-Pager (Handout on Differentiation in Literacy)

Context:

During EDLIT745, Literacy Research for Change, we were asked to choose a specific teaching practice that we wanted to improve in, research, and study. After an extended amount of time researching and analyzing data about Differentiated Instruction in Literacy, I wrote a literature review. In this literature review, I organized and analyzed the scholarly articles that I acquired. After completeing the literature review on my topic, I created a one-pager that was given to my classmates. This became a resource that they could reference and use to improve their own practice in differentiating during literacy. 

Reflection:

To my surprise, it was very difficult to find scholarly articles that discussed differentiation in literacy. However, after long hours of research, I was able to find a few articles that talked about both the importance of differentiating reading and writing and ways to do so. One thing that many of the artciles stated was that teachers feel inadequate in differentiation when they are not provided learning opportunities to grow from. Overall, I found that one of the most important things a school can do is provide their teachers with professional development opportunities that focus on differentiation in literacy. While researching, I also found a few strategies that teachers can use to differentiate their literacy instruction, including strategy instruction and strategic use of assessment. All this research was then taken and organized onto a visually pleasing one-pager. This assignment allowed me to take all of the research articles and information I found, and summarize it on a one page document that could be easily digested and implemented.