6.3: Participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated professional development programs.

Coaching Assignment

Context:

For this assignment from EDLIT734, we were asked to coach a small group of 2 or 3 new teachers. With this group, we had to plan a literacy lesson using an expository text that included before reading, during reading and after reading strategies. We had to be the "literacy coach" and demonstrate the lesson for others to observe and discuss. The teachers met with us as a group before the lesson and after watching the lesson. As the coach, it was our job to guide the planning and reflective discussions based on their observations. We also reflected on ways that they could use these strategies in their own classroom. At the conclusion of this experience, we prepared a written report reflecting on the strengths and weaknesses of our lesson, and explained the suggestions we offered to promote greater student engagement and improve other teachers' classroom practice teaching cognitive and metacognitive strategies. Finally, we reflected on the coaching process and what we learned about our role and experience as a literacy coach. 

Reflection:

When I first found out that I had to coach other teachers, I was a little nervous. It was my first year at PS532, and I wasn't sure how they would feel about me being their coach. However, my colleagues were happy to observe me and learn about new before, during, and after reading strategies for expository texts. For this lesson, I decided that I would teach the “Following the Inner Conversation” strategy lesson from the text Strategies that Work by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis. This lesson was done during a read aloud block and asked the students to stop and jot what they were thinking using both words and pictures. When it came time to discuss my lesson, both of my colleagues came prepared with written feedback. This kept our discussion on task and organized. After discussing the glows and grows of my lesson, I know exactly what I needed to do to improve the effectiveness of this reading strategy, and my colleagues left with a new outlook on how they can support their student's listening comprehension during read aloud. We also found that this strategy was one that would be beneficial to use with students in small groups, whole group, and with partnerships. The strategy was also differentiated by providing students the option to draw or jot their thoughts. This increased participation from all students and helped them feel successful during the read aloud lesson.