Letter of Self Evaluation (Emma Chalmers).docx

Opening Letter to Partner - Hayley Brander (Emma Chalmers).docx

Response to Partner .docx

Final Reflection (Emma Chalmers).docx

Content: 

Attached are multiple assignements from EDLIT742, one of them being a video of my guided reading lesson. For EDLIT742, I was asked to video tape my guided reading lesson, to show both the impact that my professor's feedback and our conversation had on my lesson, and to gain a second point of view from one of my colleagues. I video taped guided reading because my research question focused on differentiation in literacy. In my current Integrated Co-teaching Classroom (ICT), we have 12 students who have been diagnosed with disabilities. These disabilities range from learning disabilities to ADHD. As the special education teacher in the classroom, I need to be able to differentiate in order to meet the needs of all of my students. Although guided reading is already differentiated based on student's instructional reading levels, I've had a difficult time engaging all of my students. For this assignment, my goal was to provide all student's access to my guided reading lesson. 

Explanation:

For this lesson, my professor suggested that I have the students keep track of their assignments each week. She also suggested giving them something to come to the group with. This could a be a question or an idea that they're having about the book. She also recommended that guided reading become more student led rather than teacher led. In this guided reading lesson, I tried to incorporate all the suggestions that my professor gave, in hopes that I would provide my students with the tools and prompting they needed in order to be successful. To help the students stay engaged and focused on the day's teaching point, I created a visual with a clear picture and strategy. 

Reflection:

Ever since I had this conversation around guided reading with my professor and collegue, I've felt more confident in my guided reading instruction. This is an area that I want to continually work on developing as a teacher and literacy coach. I've learned that guided reading is an opportunity for students to work with teachers on the reading skills and strategies that they struggle with most. However, it's also an opportunity for them to come prepared and take the lead when it comes to book discussions. To improve in this area, I'm going to continue to seek different resources and strategies to use to differentiate my guided reading instruction. Attached is my letter of self-evaluation, letter to partner, response to partner, and my final reflection for EDLIT742. These artifacts show how this process impacted my learning and how my students will ultimately benefit from my education.