Formative Assessments Method  #1: Anecdotal Observation/Individual Student Conference for Activity 1 (Open Discussion/Read Aloud)

DOK Level 1- Recall and Reproduction- An individual student conference would be useful in assessing the child’s ability to identify or state details of a text after a read aloud because it provides an inside look to what the child has gained from the open discussion/read aloud experience.

Rationale: Jay and Christina participate less when it comes to whole group instruction due to their spoken language capabilities. Both students enjoy and are more expressive during small group activities. Therefore, meeting with them individually will give them the opportunity to share what they have remembered from the read aloud.  

Directions: Prior to the conference, I will observe and record both students during the read aloud given by the teacher to note any behaviors. Following the read aloud, I will meet with each student and ask their help in identifying 3 food items used in the text (SLO). Depending on which center the child joins after the read aloud, I will use the center as a way to implement the task. For example, if the child is in the dramatic play center, I will join in on the play and say, “I’m going to make a soup for the caterpillar in the story. Wait! I can’t remember what he likes to eat. Jay/Christina can you help me pick 3 food items that is here and also in the book?”

Correct Responses- Key Words: apple, pears, plums, strawberries, oranges, chocolate cake, ice cream cone, pickle, Swiss cheese, lollipop, cherry pie, sausages, cupcake, watermelon, & green leaf

Formative Assessments Method #2: Student Oral Presentations/Structured Interview Activity 2 (Designing Your Own Caterpillar)

DOK Level 2- Skill and Concept- In this DOK level, skills and concepts gain from contextual information is needed for extended thinking (Wortham; pg.199)*. With that said, Students will be given a few minutes to share their constructed caterpillars using supported information from the anatomy lesson given before the activity.

Rationale- Jay and Christina enjoy the art center! It is the most time I have them together during choice time. The SLO for Jay and Christina in this level is so that they can practice (Jay) or learn to speak (Christina) in expanded sentences. Hence, giving them the chance to talk about their own work while performing a running record will allow me assess how the skills and concepts in this DOK level.

Materials:

Crafted Caterpillars

Pen & Paper

Directions: After Jay and Christina have designed their very own caterpillars, they will be given a few minutes to introduce their caterpillar to each other and discuss the overall anatomy of their caterpillars or provide a made-up story about their caterpillar. A running record will be conducted and later used to assess the expanded sentences used in this activity.

Correct Response

-Sentences using more than four words (e.g. This is john and he is colorful).

-Anatomy Words: head, thorax, legs, prolegs, eyes

Formative Assessments Method #3: Rubric for Activity 3 (Sequencing and Matching)

DOK Level 3-Strategic Thinking- Using a rubric in this DOK level is useful because it assesses the performance task expected in this activity which is to investigate and differentiate (SLO) the life cycles of butterflies.

Rationale- As mentioned before, Jay and Christina enjoy small group interaction. Therefore, a rubric will allow me to assess them at the same time to later review their scores and see which aspects of the activity needs further practice or shows mastery.

Materials:

Laminated Pictures or objects (Egg, Larva/Caterpillar, Pupa/Chrysalis, Butterfly)

number cards

Rubric

Pen/paper

Directions: I will implement the assessment in the science center during assigned center time. I will have two sets of pictures and word cards and ask Jay and Christina to first put the pictures in order. After discussing or rearranging their pictures, I will then hand them a set of words and ask them to match it the corresponding picture.

Correct Response:

Criteria1 Point2 points3 points

Sequencing the

life cycle using objects

or pics

Child is able to

sequence one or less

out of four life cycles.

Child is able to

sequence two to three

out of four life cycles

Child is able to

sequence all four life cycles

Matching word cards

to objects or picture

Child is able to

match one or

less than one

Child is able to

match one to two

Child is able to match all four
 Total                 _____ /6

Scoring

1 Point - Inadequate Response

2 Points - Satisfactory Response

3 Points – Demonstrated Competence