Assessments Method 1: Anecdotal Observation/Individual Student Conferences for Activity 1 (Open Discussion/Read Aloud)

(Left: Jay's/ Right: Christina)

The purpose of this assessment was to question whether or not my targeted students gained information from the read-aloud that was provided by the teacher. As mentioned before, after the read aloud children were sent to their seats and given writing sheets and circular cutouts to depict the food items from the text. I was given the chance to assist with materials or any requests made by teachers and students.

Jay

When I visited Jay’s table, one of his classmates asked me to draw a watermelon. I decided to draw a piece of watermelon by saying “it’s kind of like drawing a triangle with dots for the seeds.” I also modeled my way of depicting ice cream cones by saying “I draw an upside down triangle, then I draw a circle on top.” Jay and his surrounding classmates chose to incorporate some of my ideas to their work. Jay’s final drawing on the green circle shows he used shapes to guide his learning.

He also accomplished the SLO during our interview when he stated the words “watermelon,” “lollipop,” and “ice cream” when asked to recall items from the text.

(Jay's Work Sheet) "Caterpillar House."

Jay’s worksheet was done after he completed his circular drawing for the classroom caterpillar. He stated that it was the caterpillar’s home when the assistant teacher asked about it. He nodded his head when the teacher asked if his favorite part of the story was when the caterpillar made a cocoon. Jay is shown to use recalling strategies from the book with guided support provided by adults. For instance, Jay’s color use of brown relates to the cocoon shown in the text. Therefore, he is shown to have met the general goal given for this activity.

Christina

(Christina's Worksheet) "Caterpillar eat leaves."

For Christina, she was sent to the writing center to complete the writing sheet before given a green circle. While working, Christina was less talkative than her peers. She occasionally glanced over at her peer’s work and only spoke when requesting a marker. At one point, the head teacher walks over and acknowledges Christina’s work by showing the class what she has drawn and written. The worksheet shows a tree and leaves, which was also shown in the book. Given the worksheet, Christina has also met the general goal of recalling key concepts or main ideas from the text.

When Christina was handed a green circle to depict food items, a specialist came and removed her from the classroom for services. The circle was completed with the specialist in a different room. The unstructured interview took place the following morning and based on the dialogue, worksheet, and cutout, it seems as if Christina's way of recalling items through her work is focused on one food or general concept at a time (e.g. leaves in one work & a Fruit in another). With that said, future palnning for Christina should continue to stick to recalling and annotating at least three ideas/key words.

Formative Assessments Method 2 (Skill & Concept): Student Oral Presentations/Structured Interview for Activity 2 (Designing Your Own Caterpillar)

I was given the opportunity to assist Jay and Christina in creating their classroom caterpillar. Before implementing the interview, I spent time observing them in the process of constructing their caterpillars. Both students engaged in verbal interactions, which was led by Jay when they shared a common interest for mixing paint.

Oral Presentations & Interview

Both Jay and christina showed their created caterpillars which aligns with the general goal in this activity. For Jay, he exceeded the SLO of speaking in expanded sentences and initiating conversations with his peer Christina (Beaty's Checklist, 2014). For instance, while mixing different paint, Jay looked over to Christina and said “look Christina. It looks ugly.” During the group structured interview, Jay is also shown to have elements of storytelling for his caterpillar when he named it Henry. For Christina, throughout the activity she was focused on completing the task. However, for the structured interview, Christina uses one to two word utterances. Future learning experiences may include a SLO that promotes using expanded sentences, but through a different modality.

Formative Assessments Method #3: Rubric for Activity 3 (Matching and Sequencing)

This form of assessment was implemented after various exposures to books and whole group lessons on the life cycles of butterflies. The implementation took place in the science center during evening drop-off with both student present. Prior to implementing, I held a discussion with teachers to review my planning for this assessment and they mentioned how the students may have had little exposure in identifying words to match with pictures. I decided to implement my assessment using objects found in the classroom and objects created by the students to assess their prior knowledge. Jay and Christina was able to sequence the life cycle of butterfly using all four objects (egg, their caterpillar, paper bag for Pupa, & a butterfly made from pipe cleaners). Throughout this activity Jay and Christina seemed to enjoy demonstrating their knowledge of sequencing the butterfly’s life cycle, which aligns with the first part of the SLO. Future planning would involve incorporating and practicing the words associated with the butterfly life cycle.