Reflections

Teaching Skills

Teaching Skill

Reflection

Classroom Management

I place a high value on classroom management. Students must have a safe environment in which to create and by establishing rules and protocols this can be accomplished. A list of classroom rules needs to be put into place at the beginning of the year and enforced throughout the year. Protocols should be created for: entering/exiting the classroom, using the restroom, class participation, asking questions, providing feedback, and working independently and in groups.

Dance Learning Environment

I will effectively maintain a learning environment that interests and engages all children by having established rules and protocol as well as develop unit plans. Creating unit plans can assist with having a productive work environment for both students and teachers. Units can be created with “hooks” that will interest a particular classroom. A teacher must know their students and find ways in which to interest them in the information you want/need to cover in your classroom.

Curriculum Content

Instruction and Design

I will design unit and lesson plans by using two templates, which will help to flesh out the content I want to teach. I will consider the school and classroom environment I am a part of when designing curriculum. I will take aspects such as common core standards, the strands, Webb’s Depth of Knowledge, technology, and individual IEPs into consideration when planning lessons for my classroom.

Assessment Strategies

Assessment strategies are helpful in seeing what students already know, what they do not know before a lesson, and what they have learned after a lesson. I would assess students continuously throughout the year including teacher assessment and student self-assessment. Types of assessment that I plan to use include: pre-assessment tests, worksheets, rubrics, and student self-reflection.

Long Term Planning

(Curriculum Map)

I will effectively plan for the long term (yearlong) by creating end of the year goals for my classes. What do I want students to know by the time they leave my classroom in June? Then I can work backwards to dissect what it is a need to give my students in order for them to reach my end of the year goal.  It is also important to be flexible with goals and realize that at times that students may need  to spend more time with one topic or need to explore a different topic. Long term planning needs to ring true for the teacher as well as the students.

Questioning Technique-

Higher order thinking skills

I will effectively use questioning techniques by thinking of questions before the start of the classroom. By using Webb’s Depth of knowledge, I can be sure to create higher order questions to give to my students. Also reflecting after a lesson on questions you used and questions you could use in the future will help with planning for other lessons.

Reflective Practice-

Journal Entries

Reflective practice is important for both the teacher and the students. Teachers should leave room for edits within their units in order to reflect upon what happened while the lesson was implemented. Students should be asked to reflect on their work because they will be able to explore more deeply what they are doing in class as well as it gives the teacher a window into the student’s thinking. Ways of reflecting include: journals, discussions, exit slips, and even through movement.  

Revisions to Dance

Education Practice

I am very willing to revise my practice on reflections and feedback given from peers, my instructor, and my cooperating teaching. By receiving feedback, we are able to refine our skills as an educator. By having others view your work and comment on it, you can further your own practice. I have found that by implementing feedback I am given, I am a stronger educator and I have a better understanding of my practice, which will benefit my students.

Dance Across the Curriculum

I am able to integrate other content areas into my lesson plans. I have found many Ipad applications that can assist with interdisciplinary studies. Also many crossovers between other content areas and dance are already present; it is about finding these connections and then creatively presenting them to students.

Positive Attitude and Joy in your Danced Practice

I experience great joy when teaching. What students are able to accomplish never cease to amaze me. They are able to make many connections to dance content on their own and expand upon what is presented to them. I bring joy into the classroom by celebrating student accomplishments. I always ask my students to do the best they can, and that is all that I ask for. Students should celebrate their individuality's within the classroom.