2012– ACEND Core Competencies for the RD - Summary Worksheet  

Competency

Rotation/ Activity

Date

CRD 1.1 Select indicators of program quality and/or customer service and measure achievement of objectives.

Community: I participated in a site visit to evaluate how the nutrition program was being implemented and their compliance with the lesson plan as well as their teaching style.

10/21/2015

CRD 1.2 Apply evidence-based guidelines, systematic reviews and scientific literature (such as the Academy’s Evidence Analysis Library and Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guidelines, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, National Guideline Clearinghouse Web sites) in the nutrition care process and model and other areas of dietetics practice

Clinical: This was achieved through my chart review assignment.

02/16/2016

CRD 1.3 Justify programs, products, services and care using appropriate evidence or data

Clinical: This was achieved through my initial decision on what I wanted to do my service improvement project on. I calculated the percentage of handouts on specific nutrients and used this to

02/16/2016

CRD 1.4 Evaluate emerging research for application in dietetics practice

This was the day I went to my clinical conference. It discussed various new trends and information surrounding pediatric nutrition as well as ketogenic diets for epilepsy.

11/19/2016

CRD 1.5 Conduct projects using appropriate research methods, ethical procedures and data analysis

Clinical: This was achieved through my service improvement project.

02/16/2016

CRD 2.1 Practice in compliance with current federal regulations and state statutes and rules, as applicable and in accordance with accreditation standards and the Scope of Dietetics Practice and Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics

Clinical: This was achieved through my charting

02/16/2016

CRD 2.2 Demonstrate professional writing skills in preparing professional communications

Community: Working on a newsletter for the office.

10/20/2015

CRD 2.3 Design, implement and evaluate presentations to a target audience

Community: Did a presentation on smart snacking for middle schoolers at one of the SASF sites.

10/22/2015

CRD 2.4 Use effective education and counseling skills to facilitate behavior change

After effectively providing counseling, one of my patients lost weight and received better labs.

02/29/2016

CRD 2.5 Demonstrate active participation, teamwork and contributions in group settings

Community: Participated in the elect to be fit event. Collaborated with co workers, volunteer and school staff to put on this event.

11/3/2015

CRD 2.6 Assign patient care activities to DTRs and/or support personnel as appropriate.

Clinical: We had fitness interns at my clinical rotation so I recommended patients to them to assist in weight loss and strengthening.

03/10/2016

CRD 2.7 Refer clients and patients to other professionals and services when needs are beyond individual scope of practice

Warm hand off of a patient to a social worker due to his expression of suicidal thoughts.

02/22/2016

CRD 2.8 Apply leadership skills to achieve desired outcomes

Community: I took the lead in planning the later successful elect to be fit event. This involved consulting with several colleagues and groups.

10/08/2015

CRD 2.9 Participate in professional and community organizations

Community: Attended a sports specialist training for SASF.

09/23/2015

CRD 2.10 Establish collaborative relationships with other health professionals and support personnel to deliver effective nutrition services

Clinical: At my clinical rotation we worked with various doctors and personnel at the health center so as to ensure proper care on all fronts. We also had a doctor present during the nutrition group.

03/30/2016

CRD 2.11 Demonstrate professional attributes within various organizational cultures

I believe that I completed this during the entire internship. In each rotation there was a different culture and way of work and I believe that I brought a degree of professionality and support in each location. 

Entire Internship

CRD 2.12 Perform self assessment, develop goals and objectives and prepare a draft portfolio for professional development as defined by the Commission on Dietetics Registration

This was done through my e portoflio. I logged every day through out my internship as well as completed various modules and reports. 

Entire Internship

CRD 2.13 Demonstrate negotiation skills

Food Service: I demonstrated this by working on getting quotes for an assignment given by my preceptor. I negotiated lower prices for various products.

12/11/2015

CRD 3.1 Perform the Nutrition Care Process (a through e below) and use standardized nutrition language for individuals, groups and populations of differing ages and health status**, in a variety of settings

a. Assess the nutritional status of individuals, groups and

populations in a variety of settings where nutrition care is or

can be delivered

Clinical Rotation

Performed this process daily for the length of my rotation.

02/01-2016-04/07/2016

b. Diagnose nutrition problems and create problem, etiology, signs and symptoms (PES) statements

Clinical Rotation

02/01-2016-04/07/2016

c. Plan and implement nutrition interventions to include

prioritizing the nutrition diagnosis, formulating a nutrition prescription, establishing goals and selecting and managing intervention

Clinical Rotation

02/01-2016-04/07/2016

d. Monitor and evaluate problems, etiologies, signs, symptoms and the impact of interventions on the nutrition diagnosis

Clinical Rotation

02/01-2016-04/07/2016

e. Complete documentation that follows professional guidelines required by health care systems and guidelines required by the practice setting.

Clinical Rotation

02/01-2016-04/07/2016

CRD 3.2 Demonstrate effective communications skills for clinical and customer services in a variety of formats.

Community: This was the day I completed my restaurant review.

09/28/2015

CRD 3.3 Develop and deliver products, programs or services that promote consumer health, wellness and lifestyle management.

Community: Developed outline and delivered worksite wellness presenation

11/04/2015

CRD 3.4 Deliver respectful, science-based answers to consumer questions concerning emerging trends

Community: Presented worksite wellness workshop and responded to various questions from participants

11/12/2015

CRD 3.5 Coordinate procurement, production, distribution and service of goods and services

Food Service: I created a purchasing chart to coordinate this. On other occasions I used US Foods to order the food for the week.

12/04/2015

CRD 3.6 Develop and evaluate recipes, formulas and menus for acceptability and affordability that accommodate the cultural diversity and health needs of various populations, groups and individuals

Food Service: I developed the spring menu for the locations. I also added a few new recipes that were suited to the cultures of the day care population.

01/11/2016

CRD 4.1 Participate in management of human resources.

Community: Scheduled interviews for sports specialists

10/13/2015

CRD 4.2 Perform management functions related to safety, security and sanitation that affect employees, customers, patients, facilities and food

Food Service: Completed a health and safety checklist at one of the locations.

01/12/2016

CRD 4.3 Participate in public policy activities, including both legislative and regulatory initiatives

Community: Attended community conference on nutrition advocacy and legislation surrounding the soda tax

11/13/2015

CRD 4.4 Conduct clinical and customer service quality management activities

Clinical: Service improvement project

02/16/2016

CRD 4.5 Use current informatics technology to develop, store, retrieve and disseminate information and data

I used this in various rotations but especially for my e portfolio

Entire Internship

CRD 4.6 Analyze quality, financial or productivity data and develop a plan for intervention

Food Service: I did this through a cost analysis of one of the menus at my rotation.

12/08/2015

CRD 4.7 Propose and use procedures as appropriate to the practice setting to reduce waste and protect the environment.

Food Service: I conducted a waste analysis and looked into how I can reduce waste at the sites

01/19/2016

CRD 4.8 Conduct feasibility studies for products, programs or services with consideration of costs and benefits.

Research: I conducted literature reviews as well as created design and idea for a mobile health app. This required consideration of design and other partners working on the app as well as indentifying learning points and content. 

04/16/2016

CRD 4.9 Analyze financial data to assess utilization of resources.

Food Service: I analyzed the cost analysis that I completed in order to see what meals were over our budget.

12/07/2015

CRD 4.10 Develop a plan to provide or develop a product, program or service that includes a budget, staffing needs, equipment and supplies

Community: Began planning elect to be fit day for children. This includes, activities, staff, buses, lunches, etc.

10/08/2015

CRD 4.11 Code and bill for dietetic/nutrition services to obtain reimbursement from public or private insurers

Clinical: This was done through my chart reviews and charting with my preceptor

02/16/2016

** The areas specifically addressed in the Hunter DI are:

1. Gastrointestinal disorders, 2. Cardiovascular Disease, 3. Diabetes, 4. Renal Disease, 5. Oncology, 6. Infectious Disease, 7. Neurological Disorders and Dementia, 8. Nutrition Support, 9. Behavioral Health, and 10. Pediatrics.