Date: Monday, October 17th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
I participated in an orientation to the clinical rotation at Coler-Goldwater with Ms. Williams and another Hunter Intern, Lauren Minchen. The orientation included a discussion of expectations, intern responsibilities, the intern schedule, and possible intern assignments. Ms. Williams also introduced both Lauren and I to the dietetic staff. I was assigned to read through the Food and Nutrition Service Department's Policy and Procedures manual.

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned/ Challenges: I
t was exciting to see the ways in which Cooler-Goldwater has thought about how to make the intern experience worthwhile for Hunter students. Although reading through the policy and procedures was a daunting task, the manual lays out important procedures and responsibilities of staff. I am sure as the rotation continues it will be a great tool to refer back to.

Learning Objectives Met:
2.12

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, October 18th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Reviewed the diet manual, reviewed and made copies of materials for determining nutrient needs, conducted rounds in C21 with Ms. Kim, reviewed patient files, participated in a meeting with a patient about her eating preferences, became acquainted with the following forms: assessments, quarterly assessments, nutrition admission notes, standard of care, diet requests, diet requests.

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned/ Challenges:
Today was the first time I reviewed a comprehensive patient file and I learned that everything must be documented! Ms. Kim oriented me to the documents within the files and the process she uses for completing her assessments and follow ups for significant weight gains, pressure ulcers, and patients on tube feeding. I reviewed the procedures in the policy and procedure manual.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 4.11

Hours:8

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, October 19th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Conducted patient rounds with Ms. Kim, attended patient meeting, attended dietitian meeting, attended patient care plan meeting, reviewed patient files, wrote nutrition progress note for patient on GT feeding.

Today I reviewed in more detail how to write out the progress notes for patient follow ups. I also wrote out my first nutrition note for a patient: "Stable weight 30/180 days. GT feeding tolerated with no signs of complications from feeding. Patient meeting nutrient needs as evidenced by stable weight. Plan of care continues." During the staff meeting we discussed issues with patient satisfaction.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 3.4, 4.11

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Thursday, October 20th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:  
Conducted patient rounds with Ms. Kim, attended patient care plan meeting, reviewed patient files, wrote nutrition progress notes, drafted nutrition assessment forms.

Today was very similar to yesterday in that Ms. Kim continued to introduce me to her style and the standardized method used by the nursing facility.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 3.4, 4.11

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Friday, October 21st        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Personal Day

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
N/A

Hours:
0

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, October 24th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Personal Day

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
N/A

Hours:
0

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, October 25th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Conducted resident rounds with Ms. Tenaka, conducted an initial assessment for a resident with GT feeding, conducted meal rounds with Ms. Tenaka.

Ms. Tenaka provided an in-depth review of how to conduct an initial assessment. I was also provided with materials that will be helpful throughout the rotation for conducting assessments and other responsibilities. I completed a chart review for a patient newly admitted to the hospital on GT feeding. Completing the assessment required a lot of time, but I am sure as I complete more assessments and become more familiar with the calculation methods used by the institution that time required for each review will decrease.

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, October 26th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed patient rounds with Ms. Tenaka, completed annual assessment for dementia patient, attended a dietitian endorsement meeting, attended patient care plan meeting in A11.

Most of the patients that I have been observing while at Goldwater suffer from Dementia. Today, I assessed a patient with Dementia and noted the difficulty in communication. Today reinforced that in cases where the resident has a cognitive impairment it is especially important to check in with the nursing staff in addition to attempting to engage with the patient.

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Thursday, October 27th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Conducted patient rounds with Ms. Kupperman. Attended two care plan meetings.

I conducted rounds with Ms. Kupperman for most of the day. As Ms. Kupperman completed quarterly assessments, annual assessments, progress notes, and care plans she explained to me her reasoning. Although Ms. Kupperman provided me with a wealth of information she swept rapidly through each of her tasks and it was difficult to follow. Ms. Kupperman explained to me that she had several things to complete in order to prepare for her vacation and she apologized for not being able to spend more time discussing her steps with me. Around 3pm we stopped conducting rounds together and I was asked to work on my school modules.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Friday, October 28th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Worked on clinical modules

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned/ Challenges: Ms. Kupperman explained to me during our check in that she did not have a lot of time because she needed to prepare for vacation. She explained that her day would be very high paced as it was yesterday. I was led to believe that I would not be able to work on any assessments or tasks on my own and that I would only be able to observe Ms. Kupperman as she worked rapidly with little explanation. Ms. Kupperman asked if I would be ok working on my school modules. Ms. Williams was notified that Ms. Kupperman asked me to not work with her. I spent the day working on clinical modules and developing a portfolio for professional development.

Learning Objectives Met:
 2.8, 2.12, 2.13

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, October 31st        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Entered patient laboratory data onto assessment documents, worked on the clinical nutrition renal module, and completed the nutrition support module.

I was not assigned to a dietitian for today because I was originally assigned to orientation which I later found out was only going to be held on Thursday. In the morning I contacted Ms. Williams and Elaina to see if I would have any special assignments for the day. Due to limited staff availability I was asked to work on my school modules and check in with the dietitians within my office to see if they needed assistance with anything. Ms. Tenaka asked for assistance with entering laboratory data onto some assessments. I provided assistance, however, there were not other projects for me to work on so I began work on my clinical modules.

Learning Objectives Met:
2.1, 2.8, 2.12

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, November 1st        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Completed renal module and begin work on CVD and Obesity Module.

I was not assigned to a dietitian for today because I was originally assigned to orientation which I later found out was only going to be held on Thursday. In the morning I contacted Ms. Williams to see if I would have any special assignments for the day. Due to limited staff availability I was asked to work on my school modules and check in with the dietitians within my office to see if they needed assistance with anything. They did not need assistance so I worked on my school modules.

Learning Objectives Met:
2.1, 2.8, 2.12

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, November 2nd        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed two quarterly assessments. Completed one annual assessment. Attended a patient care meeting with Ms. Muhlhauser. Worked on completing school modules.

I was not assigned to a dietitian for today because I was originally assigned to orientation which I later found out was only going to be held on Thursday. In the morning I contacted Ms. Williams to see if I would have any special assignments for the day. Due to limited staff availability I was asked to work on my school modules and check in with the dietitians within my office to see if they needed assistance with anything. The dietitians in my office did not need assistance, however, at one point Ms. Muhlhauser walked into our office. She informed me that she had a few assessments that I could work on. I then accompanied Ms. Muhlhauser to her units and completed the assessments. We reviewed the assessments later together and Ms. Muhlhauser provided useful feedback. I asked Ms. Muhlhauser if there was anything else I could assist her with and when told no I asked if I could conduct some "mock" assessments on her renal patients. I was provided with four names for patients in B42 so I began to complete those assessments that afternoon.

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Thursday, November 3rd        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Attended an all day employee/volunteer orientation at the Cooler Campus

Although it is required for all hospital employees to attend the orientation, it felt as though the orientation was only geared towards nursing staff. Some of the information presented was interesting and more relevant for example a presentation on psychotropic drugs was very informative. However, many parts of the orientation for example on personal protective equipment were presented in a manner that was too in-depth for certain hospital staff. Perhaps there were other things covered in the other two days of orientation (which we were not required to attend) that would have been more relevant for example a training on HIPPA.

Learning Objectives Met:
2.12

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Friday, November 4th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed Module 2; conducted 2 reassessments on dialysis patients; met with Ms. Williams to discuss the rotation thus far; accompanied Ms. Williams to a meeting with a patient's family member.

Today I was assigned to work with Ms. Mulhauser. I arrived at 9 am and attempted to find Ms. Mulhauser. I was aware that she had a meeting around 9 am so I looked in some of her units and her office, but was unable to find her. I called and paged her, but did not see her for most of the day. In the afternoon Ms. Muhlhauser came into our dietetic office for an unrelated matter at which time I asked her questions regarding the renal assessments I conducted earlier that day. I conducted two renal "mock" assessments using patients from Ms. Muhlhauser’s units. She spent about 30 minutes with me answering my questions. However, we never reviewed the renal assessments. I asked Ms. Muhlhauser what she was doing for the rest of the day and if I could accompany her. Ms. Muhlhauser explained that she was leaving at 3:30 pm and had a lot of work to complete before she left. Later in the afternoon I brought the situation to the attention of Ms. Williams. Ms. Williams encouraged me to contact her immediately if a similar situation occurred. In addition, Ms. Williams notified me that the issue would be resolved.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 4.5, 4.11

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, November 7th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:  
Completed patient rounds with Ms. Tenaka, completed a quarterly and an annual assessment, completed meal rounds with Ms. Tenaka, attended patient care plan meetings.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, November 8th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Holiday, no work

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
N/A

Hours:
0

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, November 9th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location: Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Conducted patient rounds with Ms. Kim, attended patient care plan meetings, reviewed patient files, wrote nutrition progress notes, completed one nutrition annual assessment.

Ms. Kim collects most of her information about patients by checking in with the nurses and in the time I spent with her she did not check in with a single patient unless a meeting had been requested with them. Ms. Tenaka in comparison checks in more regularly with her patients. Ms. Tenaka explained that this is because she is new and getting to know her patients. I am finding it interesting that the dietitians visit their patients at varying levels.

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Thursday, November 10th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed 2 assessments and 1 quarterly assessment with Ms. Kupperman in B21; Attended MDS meeting in B21; Wrote progress note for 2 patients to update their preferences in B21; Followed up on patients who had diet or preference changes while Ms. Kupperman was out on vacation; Updated the weight book; Spoke with doctor in B21 about patient/family issues; Updated interim care plan; Attended MDS meeting in A41

Ms. Kupperman is the dietitian I worked with on the 27th and 28th of October. In my previous experience with her she spent little time and attention in introducing me to the nutrition assessments and documentation used by Coler-Goldwater. During my second experience with her she provided a better overview and spent more time introducing me to her processes. I did note that Ms. Kupperman was very short with me and other staff in the hospital.

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Friday, November 11th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Holiday, no work

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
0

________________________________________________________________

Date:
Monday, November 14th through Friday, November 18th      Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the week:
Completed rounds with the doctors and Ms. Levi; Completed meal rounds; Completed nutrition initial and annual assessments; completed a mock assessment for a patient with a condition they had since birth; reviewed ASPEN guidelines for nutrition support and ventilator patients; Met with patients; Provided education to a Mandarin speaking parent using a syrophone about her son who had gained weight because of a combination of intake from food from inside and outside; Conducted a clinical case study for a child with a fructose allergy; researched a point system method for calculating meal intake. Reviewed clinical research on Vitamin D supplementation.

Working with Ms. Levi was a completely different experience compared to working with the other dietitians. She has a higher level of interaction with patients, stays very up to date on nutrition research, writes less detailed but more straightforward nutrition care notes, and when completing rounds with physicians in the hospital she ensures that the nutritional status of the patient is discussed. Many of her techniques for providing care I will implement when practicing nutrition. Ms. Levi is also one of only a few dietitians in the hospital who prescribe vitamin D3 supplementation on a regular basis to patients. Lauren and I have suggested that the dietitians be in-serviced on Vitamin D and that a patient handout be developed. During my week with Ms. Levi I researched a point system that has been used in other hospitals to measure patient intake more accurately. I found it interesting that there was no published research on its use, yet there was information on how to use the point system posted on RD411.org and more than one hospital had adopted it for use in their facility.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 3.2, 3.4, 4.11

Hours:
40

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, November 21st through Friday, December 2nd    Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed re-assessments, completed lunch meal rounds daily in all Ms. Vallentini’s assigned units, provided nutrition education, prepared discharge nutrition education, completed diet request changes, attended patient care meetings.

Ms. Vallentini has the highest level of patient interaction I have seen out of any of the dietitians. During lunch she checks in with almost all of her patients and actively encourages them to eat. I will absolutely use this practice as a dietitian. I also noticed how patients respond to her in a more polite manner and many appear generally excited to see her; most likely a result of her dedication to interacting with them on a regular basis. During my time with her I provided nutrition education to patients on managing diabetes, limiting food from outside the hospital, maintaining a healthy and stable weight, food and drug interactions, and cholesterol. I was able to really engage with patients in a way I had not up until working with Ms. Vallentini. After completing my two weeks with her I felt comfortable enough to approach patients on my own, to provide sound nutrition education, and to develop nutrition assessments from start to finish without assistance.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 4.11

Hours:
80

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, December 5th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Cleider provided a detailed overview of his work process. I collected patient weights, attended pressure ulcer rounds with Cleider, and met with Ms. Williams to discuss the meal bag form.

Up until working with Cleider I had a very vague understanding of how to use laboratory values to assess patients. It is not taught clearly in medical nutrition books and it may be useful to go over laboratory values and how they can be used in a clinical setting with Hunter students before they begin their rotations. Both Lauren and I found the time we spent with Cleider on laboratory values very valuable for the remainder of our rotations.

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.4, 4.11

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, December 6th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Met with Ms. Williams and discussed the meal bag form and revised nutrition assessment document, updated the meal bag form, and began clinical nutrition assessments.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, December 7th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Attended ICP meeting in C12, followed up on significant weight changes, conducted nutrition assessments, wrote nutrition progress notes for weight changes in D12.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours: 8

______________________________________

Date:
Thursday, December 8th        Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed a draft  of the nutrition education materials document,  attended an epidemiology talk at Hunter.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 2.12, 3.4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Friday, December 9th       Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Completed 4 clinical nutrition assessments and reviewed the completed assessments with Cleider.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, December 12th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Richard introduced me to his process for completing assessments. I accompanied him to complete a nutrition assessment in the cardiac unit. I gathered information using the computer system and began to complete several assessments for patients in D22.

Richard’s process for completing nutrition assessments has been adapted over years of working at Coler-Goldwater to cut corners and cut down on time. His process makes it so that progress notes have no details and makes nutrition assessments difficult for someone outside of nutrition to assess.

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, December 13th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location: Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed nutrition assessments in D22 and reviewed them with Richard.

Richard provided very thorough feedback on how to complete the nutrition assessments. There were some things we disagreed on regarding filling out the assessment form, however, I made all of the changes he requested and revised the documents to his liking. I was surprised at Richard’s unwillingness to accept any kind of criticism. Additionally, he told me about difficulties he had with previous interns which  found completely inappropriate including the statement “who is she to tell me what to do she was an intern.”

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, December 14th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Attended a nutrition department holiday party, re wrote nutrition assessments completed previously, attended a second dietitian meeting, and assessed a TPN patient with Lauren and Ms. Levi

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Thursday, December 15th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Attended rehab meeting in D31, attended ICP meeting in D31, attended ICP meeting in D12, completed reassessments and significant wt changes in D22.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Friday, December 16th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed initial assessment for patient with trouble swallowing, attended patient care plan meeting. Attempted to attend focus plan meeting for Dementia patient who was not eating, but meeting was not held. Completed assessments.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.7, 2.8, 2.11, 2.12, 3.1, 3.4, 4.11

Hours:
8

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, December 19th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed Nutrition Education Materials report. Updated bag meal document, met briefly with Ms. Williams.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.8, 2.9, 2.11, 2.12, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7

Hours:
6.5

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, December 20th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day:
Completed revised Nutrition Education Materials report. Updated meal bag document, met briefly with Ms. Williams and Ms. Hamill.

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:
1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 2.9, 2.11, 2.12, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7

Hours:
6.5

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, December 21st through Friday, December 30th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned:
Holiday, no work

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned/ Challenges: N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
0

______________________________________

Date:
Monday, January 2nd         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Made copies of nutrition assessments in preparation for an evaluation with Ms. Williams, worked on clinical modules

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
6.5

______________________________________

Date:
Tuesday, January 3rd         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned: Prepared evaluation documentation with Ms. Williams, worked on clinical modules

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours: 6

______________________________________

Date:
Wednesday, January 3rd through Friday, January 6th         Rotation: Clinical Rotation

Location:
Cooler-Goldwater

Activities / Assignments for the day: Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned: Worked on clinical modules

N/A

Learning Objectives Met:

Hours:
18