3.1: Understand types of assessments and their purposes, strengths, and limitations.

Log 1.docx

Context:

In the EDLIT 731 course we had to the opportunity to understand and use a variety of assessment tools to plan and evaluate effective reading instruction through a series of clinical activities.  For the first clinical activtity we had to administer and interpret the Reading Interview assessment for the purpose of gauging a student's perceptions of the reading process, previous reading experiences, and models of reading in the student's life.  By understanding the purpose of this assessment I was able to utilize it to its full potential to aquire accurate results from the student.      

Reflection:

Assessments are vital when determining student success.  With the different tasks for each clinical activity I've had experience to understand a variety of assessment and, compare and contrast their purposes, strengths and limitations.  By administering the Reading Interview in a one-on-one setting with the student, I have have learned that using a clear, and gentle tone sets an environment for the student to feel comfortable to provide answers, not stressed or pressured.