Creativity, Innovation and Imagination

This artifact should provide evidence of your innovation, creativity and imagination in literacy education.

The artifact needs to be accompanied by an artifact tag which includes:

• Context in which the artifact was created
  • Explanation of your innovation, creativity and imagination in literacy education
  • Reflection of your learning, development or achievement as demonstrated by the artifact

Expository Text Demonstration Lesson and Coaching Assignment.docxCoaching Assignment Lesson Plan.docx

Context:

In this assignment I took on the role of “literacy coach” and demonstrated a lesson for other teachers to observe and discuss.  I developed a lesson that addressed using illustrations to read texts that fosters comprehension with an expository text.  Various instructional approaches were considered when planning the lesson including, the physical environment, routines, classroom configuration, variety of texts, delivery of material.  The uses of both expository and narrative texts were used to deliver the lesson. I had to meet with these teachers before the lesson to discuss objectives and procedures, invite them to watch me to teach the lesson and take anecdotal notes, gather to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the lesson and alternative approaches discuss ways they can integrate the reading strategy in their own classrooms to best meet the needs of all students.

Explanation:

Students used both expository and narrative texts to make meaning.  We compared the illustration details in an expository text and the illustration details in a narrative text, the real life pictures vs. the cartoon like pictures.  I enjoyed showing the students the real life photos of the pilgrim people and Native Americans because they are images that some students have never been exposed to.  By using a variety of texts, the variety of illustrations provided the students with similar images of the Thanksgiving traditions which stimulated their interest,  fostered appreciation of the information being read, increased their motivation to learn more and compare the illustrations/events in each story.   

Reflection:

This assignment entailed a lot of different responsibilities and provided me with a true understanding of the different roles a literacy coach has every day.  I chose this assignment to reflect on my innovation, creativity and imagination because by using multiple sources and forms of data to supplement content area books is an innovative and creative way to stimulate interest and foster appreciation for the knowledge being delivered. The objective of this lesson in particular was for students to be able to name the events that occurred at the First Thanksgiving.  We used a variety of texts to represent the cultures, clothing, housing, and food of the Pilgrims and Native Americans.  We also incorporated the opportunity for the children to create Pilgrim and Native American clothing, such as decorating brown paper bags and turning them into Native American vests, making bonnets out of construction paper, etc.  With these “costumes” it sparked an interest for the children to act like the character they were trying to be.   Their interest in acting as the Pilgrim and Native American people gave me the idea to organize a First Thanksgiving play.  This creative approach to help children understand the history behind the Thanksgiving holiday and reenact the events that took place was a great experiential learning opportunity.