I am a daughter of Jamaican immigrants, a mother and an educator with a passion and purpose. Today, after a 21 year affirmation, I am certified to teach English Language Arts to New York City adolescents.

My journey began in my small elementary school, where I was gifted with a network of teachers who were "strict" adults, with little tolerance and high expectations. Those teachers counseled us on everything from mathematics to morality and hygiene to humanity. We were their children. From the first day of school at St. John's Elementary, I felt the impact of having a network of supportive, loving adults.

When I moved in to the larger, less intimate, intimidating high school atmosphere, as a budding teen, dealing with massive issues of insecurity and self-diagnosed depression, whilst hosting an intense burning to expand beyond the typical banalities of teenage life, I began to typify the traits of a troubled teen.  I cut class often. I got into too many fist fights, one that eventually led to a superintendent suspension. I exemplified a general lack of motivation and consequently my grades reflected that of a dull, undisciplined girl.

Once again, I was fated with another educator who would usher me to my passion and my purpose of becoming a teacher. Mrs. Sosoo, my 11th grade Economics teacher, assigned a seemingly simple assignment, "Write a two page introduction of yourself."  Tsk! Someone wants to know about me? Revolutionary and Redemptive! I don't remember what I put in those two pages, but Mrs. Sosoo's red inked, two sentence feedback left an indelible imprint on me, “You are a talented writer! You should pursue journalism when you get to get to college!” Huh? College? Not only was she certain I had a gift, she was certain I would head to college and succeed! However, it was her ability to turn my light switch back on that navigated me back to teaching. 

Today my 1993 affirmation is manifesting and evolving.  To become a phenomenal teacher!